What are the improvements and alternatives for future lithium ion cell phone battery?
For now, the lithium ion cell phone battery is the best choice for mobile phone batteries. The lithium ion cell phone battery is generally made of lithium metal or lithium alloy as a negative electrode material, graphite is an anode material, and is made of a non-aqueous electrolyte. Relatively before, the lithium ion cell phone battery has the advantages of greater capacity, better stability and repeated charge and discharge. The disadvantage is that the lithium battery is very prone to runaway explosion in the event of a short circuit or overheating, which is also advocated by Eparts. The reason for high quality batteries, chargers, and data lines (I have detailed the advantages of lithium batteries in this article: Advantages of lithium ion battery)
Although the lithium ion cell phone battery has been greatly improved compared to the previous battery, there are still some shortcomings. These shortcomings also give the battery more room for improvement. What improvements and alternatives will the battery be in the future?
1.Non-flammable componentFirst of all, the safety of lithium ion cell phone battery is the most problematic people. Scientists have found that an organic solvent called PFPE is more stable, which can reduce the influence of crystal on the electrode, improve safety and extend battery life. Although this technology still takes some time to test, it is expected that a non-flammable lithium battery will be available soon.
2. Faster charging speedThe research and development team at Nangyang University of Science and Technology has developed a new lithium ion cell phone battery. The idea is different from other technologies. It is not to increase capacity, but to charge time. In just two minutes, you can quickly fill 70% of the power, and more than 10,000 times of charging. This technique uses titanium dioxide instead of graphite as the anode material.
3. Lithium anodeScientists at Stanford University recently published a paper that found that ultra-thin carbon clusters can allow lithium metal to act as an anode, and the power boost is 10 times that of current graphite anodes. However, at present, its efficiency can only reach 96%, and it will take time to enter the mass electronic consumer market.
4. Flexible lithium ion cell phone batteryWe are all looking forward to the emergence of fully flexible electronic devices, but even though flexible screens have made great progress, batteries are still a problem. LG recently demonstrated a fully curlable OLED screen with curved screens, circuitry and batteries, which is the closest we see to flexible electronic devices in science fiction movies.
In addition, a Taiwanese company has also announced the recent production of flexible ceramic lithium polymer batteries, which have extremely safe characteristics. Although the battery capacity may not be ideal, it is very suitable for wearable devices and is expected to be launched in the market this year.
5. Lithium-sulfur and lithium air batteryThe other two promising new types of lithium batteries are lithium-sulfur and lithium-air batteries. The former is characterized by the absence of high volatility solvents, which greatly reduces the risk of fire, even if it suffers from a large impact; the latter theoretically has a higher energy density and is suitable for electric vehicles and other products, but the challenge is to require new types of Electrode and electrolyte. From the current point of view, lithium-sulfur batteries have the advantages of large capacity, low cost, and high safety, and are likely to be the first to become mainstream.
6. Super capacitorSupercapacitor is a battery technology that differs from traditional lithium structures in that it can achieve high-capacity and ultra-high-speed charging, but the main obstacle is that capacitors usually cannot store energy. China's Tsinghua University, the University of Texas, and the National University of Singapore are developing supercapacitor batteries with different storage materials, including carbon nanofluids, graphene, etc., but these technologies also have hidden problems such as cumbersome and high energy aggregation stability. It is difficult to spread in the consumer market in the short term.
7. Magnesium batteryMagnesium is also a metal element that is expected to be used in the battery field. Magnesium ions can carry twice the energy of lithium ions, while having shorter charging time and stable performance. Magnesium batteries have been commercialized a few years ago, so they are expected to appear more quickly in the consumer sector than other new battery materials.
Although various types of batteries have been slowly developed, it will take some time for these batteries to enter our lives. At least in the next few years, the lithium ion cell phone battery will still be the only choice for mobile phone batteries.